venerdì, dicembre 28, 2018

RECENSIONE di The Ocean Between Us di Michelle Heard/ REVIEW of The Ocean Between Us by Michelle Heard

Buon giorno, bloggers e lettori! Ieri ho finito questo meraviglioso romanzo, un dark romance che mi ha ridotto il cuore a brandelli. Ero già abbastanza giù a causa del finale del mio romanzo ed esso non era molto felice - ma quando mai il finale di un mio romanzo è felice, poi? - e leggere questo romanzo... Non so s'è stata una scelta saggia o meno. Ma l'ho adorato.


PREMESSA
Avrei dovuto pubblicare questa recensione due settimane, ma dato che ero nella mia full immersion di scrittura, l'ho postposta. Avrei dovuto leggere questo libro prima d'ora. Amo il dark romance e il dark contemporary come genere letterario, e "The ocean between us" è davvero uno dei migliori romanzi di questo genere. Ve lo raccomando caldamente, per coloro che amano leggere romanzi contenenti violenza e la rinascita dell'eroe. Per me, cinque stelle non erano sufficienti. Ne merita molte molte di più!


SINOSSI (DA GOODREADS)
Dall'International Bestseller Michelle Heard arriva un romanzo stand-alone, un Suspense Romance.

Impaziente di sperimentare la vita, attraverso un oceano per allontanarmi dalle mie paure. E lo trovo sotto forma del Detective Aiden Holden.

Mi mostra cos'è l'amore, ma poi le nostre vite entrano in collisione. Il nostro piccolo mondo va in frantumi, e io mi ritrovo sotto il fuoco incrociato.

Sono obbligata a ritornare a casa, ad abbandonare l'unica persona che mi ha fatto sentire meritevole d'affetto e d'amore.

Come fai a tornare nella tua vecchia gabbia una volta che hai assaggiato la libertà?

La mia unica speranza è che Aiden sia disposto ad attraversare un oceano per me.

NOTA BENE: "The Ocean Between Us" contiene scene grafiche di violenza che possono infastidire alcuni lettori

Ordine di lettura della Southern Heroes Series:
The Ocean Between Us
The Girl In The Closet
All The Wasted Time
The Lies We Tell Ourselves
We Were Lost
The Fire Between Us


RECENSIONE
"The Ocean Between Us" è un dark romance piene di drammi e di difficoltà che i personaggi principali devono affrontare per raggiungere l'armonia e la felicità che desiderano. Mi ha distrutto il cuore, dato che la loro storia presenta una maggior dose di violenza e abuso psicologico di ciò che mi aspettavo. Devo ringraziare la mia Regina del Dark Romance e Dark Contemporary italiano se non mi ha sconvolto più di tanto. Grazie, my Queen Chiara Cilli <3

Emma Bowen è una ragazza di 21 anni che vive una vita infernale in Sud Africa, venendo continuamente abusata fisicamente (le cicatrici sulla sua schiena sono la prova della cattiveria di sua Madre), non vive, se devo dirla tutta. La sua vita è confinata nelle quattro mura di casa da sua madre, che è sempre ubriaca e continua a credere che tagliare il vino con il ghiaccio lo renda meno forte. Il suo patrigno è un'ameba incapace di prendere decisioni o di farsi rispettare, ma è anche un poliziotto e grazie a lei veniamo a sapere che tutti i poliziotti sudafricani sono corrotti e che chiudono un occhio quando vedono la violenza avere luogo di fronte a sé.

I can still handle the physical abuse. Scars fade. It’s the emotional abuse that’s the real killer. Words never heal. They become an endless echo in your mind, a living nightmanre.
They lose their potency, but only to grow stronger over time until you believe them.(Emma Bowen)

Aiden Holden, invece, è un detective sotto copertura che sta provando a incastrare Katia e Colton, due persone responsabili per il traffico di esseri umani e di schiave sessuali. Lui scoprirà che è Emma, la E. Bowen con cui condividerà la stanza. Ma durante la prima notte fuori in una città straniera, Emma si ubriaca e si getta, letteralmente, tra le sue braccia, chiedendogli di fare sesso con lei. Lui si comporterà da vero gentiluomo e l'aiuterà durante la sua prima sbronza, e da quel momento inizierà la loro strana, all'inizio, relazione. Aiden tenterà in tutti i modi di negare i suoi sentimenti per lei, ma essi diventeranno sempre più forti giorno dopo giorno. Quando la sua missione terminerà, dovrà tornare a Lyman, a casa sua. Ma adesso che c'è Emma, cosa farà?

But now this?Emma Bowen.I’ve never had such a strong reaction to a woman before. The second I laid eyes on her I knew my life was about to change.(Aiden Holden)

Man a mano che la storia si sviluppa, veniamo conoscenza della contrastante vita dei personaggi principali. Ma quando la mamma di Chloe fa qualcosa di inaspettato e gravissimo, Emma tornerà in Sud Africa per aiutare la sua migliore amica. Chiudendo la sua relazione con Aiden e affrontando la sua orribile madre.

I can’t believe I talked back to her. I’ve never done that before. I’m scared and proud of myself all at once. It’s such a foreign feeling.(Emma Bowen)

Sarà il loro amore più forte dell'oceano che li divide? Cambieranno le cose a casa di Emma? Per trovare una risposta a queste domande, dovrete leggere questo romanzo meraviglioso.

Il libro è strutturato con il POV alternato di Emma ed Aiden, con le loro emozioni e le loro vite. Ho adorato questa struttura narrativa, ma ero molto curiosa di leggere il POV del fratello di Emma, penso che sia un'ottima strategia quella di rendere i lettori partecipi dell'influenza di Madre anche su di lui. Forse un romanzo su di lui sarebbe davvero l'ideale. Personalmente non capisco perché alcuni utenti di Goodreads abbiano continuato a dire che Emma, dopo aver sopportato l'abuso da sua madre, non appena va in North Carolina non solo viene rapita ma anche molestata sessualmente da Katia e Colton. Pronto? Il romanzo è dark romance, non romance. Vi sareste dovuti aspettare il lato oscuro del romanzo. 

Vi saluto con una citazione tratta da questo MERAVIGLIOSO romanzo e stay tuned, perché prossimamente leggerò anche "The girl in closet" e lo recensirò per voi!
“Home.
There’s nowhere in earth I can call home.
Except for Aiden. (…)
The kiss is filled with our heartache, our broken dreams and scattered wishes.”
(Emma Bowen)



Xoxo,
Giada



Hi, sweeties! Yesterday I finished this amazing book, a dark romance that teared my heart apart and that shredded it to pieces. I was already in a down mood because I finished my novel and the ending wasn’t happy – when an ending of one my novels is happy, though? – and reading this book… I don’t know if it was a sage choice or not. But I liked it a lot.

PREMISE
I was supposed to write this review two weeks ago, but as I was in full-writing mode, I postponed it. I should have read it before. I love dark romance and dark contemporary as a literary genre, and “The ocean between us” is seriously one of the best novels of its genre. I warmly recommend it, for those people who wants to start reading books about violence in general and the rebirth of its hero. For me, five stars weren’t enough for it.

SYNOPSIS (FROM GOODREADS)
From International Bestseller Michelle Heard comes a stand-alone, Suspense Romance.

Dying to experience life, I cross an ocean to get away from my fears. I find my safe haven in the form of Detective Aiden Holden.

He shows me what love is, but then our lives collide. Our little world shatters, and I'm caught in the crossfire.

I'm forced to return home, to let go of the only person who has made me feel like I could be more.

How do you return to a cage once you've tasted freedom?

My only hope is that Aiden will cross an ocean for me.

Please note: The Ocean Between Us contains graphically violent scenes that may be upsetting to some readers.

Reading Order of Southern Heroes Series:
The Ocean Between Us
The Girl In The Closet
All The Wasted Time
The Lies We Tell Ourselves
We Were Lost
The Fire Between Us

REVIEW
“The Ocean Between Us” it’s a dark romance full of drama and difficulties the main characters have to face in order to get the harmony they desire. It shredded my heart, as its story developed with more and more violence and psychological abuse that I ever thought. Guess I have to thank my Italian dark romance and contemporary Queen if it didn’t affect me, Chiara Cilli.

Emma Bowen is 21-year-old girl who lives a hellish life in South Africa, being perpetually abused physically (the scars on her back are the proof of the devilishness of her Mother), she doesn’t live, if that what I have to say. Her life is confined in those four walls by her mother, who is always in a drunken state and keeps believing that drinking wine with thin ice, will make the wine less strong. Her stepfather is an ameba unable to take or make decisions, he’s also a policeman and we get to know from her that all the policemen of South Africa are corrupted and close an eye when they see violence displayed in from of them.

I can still handle the physical abuse. Scars fade. It’s the emotional abuse that’s the real killer. Words never heal. They become an endless echo in your mind, a living nightmanre.They lose their potency, but only to grow stronger over time until you believe them.(Emma Bowen)

Aiden Holden, instead, is a detective undercover who’s trying to catch Katia and Colton, two people responsible for women trafficking and sex slaves. He will discover that’s Emma, the E. Bowen whom will share the room with. But the first night out in a foreign city, Emma gets drunk and literally throw herself at him, asking him to have sex with her. He will act like a gentleman and help her during her first hangover, and from that moment on they will start building their strange, at the beginning, relationship. He will try to deny his feelings for her, but their reciprocate attraction will grow stronger day by day. When his mission will end, he will come back to Lyman, to her family. But now, there’s Emma. What should he do?

But now this?Emma Bowen.I’ve never had such a strong reaction to a woman before. The second I laid eyes on her I knew my life was about to change.(Aiden Holden)

As the story develops, we get to know the contrasting early life of the main characters. But when Chloe’s mom does something that upset her, Emma will come back to South Africa to help her best friend. She ends her relationship with Aiden, and faces her ugly-heart mother.

I can’t believe I talked back to her. I’ve never done that before. I’m scared and proud of myself all at once. It’s such a foreign feeling.(Emma Bowen)

Will their love be stronger than the ocean that divide them? Will things change at Emma’s house? In order to find answer to those questions, you have to read this wonderful book.

The novel it’s structured with an alternate POV from both Emma and Aiden, and their feelings and lives altogether. I liked this narrative structure, but I would like to have read Emma’s brother POV, I think it would be a good strategy to make readers aware of Mom’s influence even on him. Maybe a novel about it would be a good idea, a good thing. I personally don’t understand why people on Goodreads keep saying that Emma endured abuse at home from her mother, and when she goes to North Carolina she not only gets kidnapped but also abused from Katia and Colton. Hello? The novel’s genre is dark romance, not romance. So, you should have expected that dark side of the book.

I salute you with a quote from this AMAZING book, and stay tuned, I will read “The girl in the closet” and review it for you!
“Home.
There’s nowhere in earth I can call home.
Expect for Aiden. (…)
The kiss is filled with our heartache, our broken dreams and scattered wishes.”
(Emma Bowen)



Xoxo,
Giada

Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...